Sunday, February 06, 2011

Tithing Times 10

Through the messages of the More Than The Gift Ministry, I've tried to redirect our focus away from arguing over tithing. It saddens me that we often fail to see the irony in trying to benchmark how little we can give to the God of the universe, the Great I Am, our Lord and Savior. Today's sermon at my church (Wheaton Bible Church) centered on Ephesians 5: 1 &2. As Pastor Bugh touched on these verses this morning, the core message of my ministry kept resonating within my soul. God desires more than a tenth and more than a material gift. He desires that we would give our total selves back to Him as an act of love. He leads by example and asks that His beloved children would follow that lead by mimicking the actions of His Son. The ESV translations of these scriptures read:

Ephesians 5:
1) Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children. 2) And walk in love, as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us, a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

He gave Himself up for us because He loves us. The question each of us must answer is whether we love Him enough to give ourselves back to Him in return.

No comments: